This blog is in recess. New contributions will still appear from time to time and new contributors are welcome. Check out orienteering.org.nz and the facebook o scene for your regular online orienteering fix.

Friday 25 October 2013

Halcyon Days

For Jim Barr...landowner, controller, orienteer.

Not from successful love alone,
Nor wealth, nor honor'd middle age, nor victories of politics or war;
But as life wanes, and all the turbulent passions calm,
As gorgeous, vapory, silent hues cover the evening sky,
As softness, fulness, rest, suffuse the frame, like freshier, balmier air,
As the days take on a mellower light, and the control flag at last hangs
really finish'd and indolent-ripe on the stand,
Then for the teeming quietest, happiest days of all!
The brooding and blissful halcyon days!

(Walt Whitman)

1 comment:

rossmaxmo said...

Very moving Jamie :D

When I heard the learn'd orienteer;
When the proofs, the figures, were ranged in columns before me;
When I was shown the charts and the diagrams, to add, divide, and
measure them;
When I, sitting, heard the orienteer, where he lectured with much
applause in the lecture-room,
How soon, unaccountable, I became tired and sick;
Till rising and gliding out, I wander'd off by myself,
In the mystical moist night-air, and from time to time,
Look'd up in perfect silence completely lost.

Source